Sunday, March 6, 2011

Let's Have Monday Muffins

Hello Friends,

The weekend's over and I was thinking....what better way to begin the week day morning than to have a warm drink (coffee, tea,....or cocoa with marshmallows?), to enjoy with a new baked recipe.

I'll be adding  Muffin Mondays, hopefully on a regular weekly basis....
Each week I'll share a new recipe and photo, and I'll let you know if my family thought it was a "do over" or "never again".

So, let's start the second week of March with this:
Blueberry Orange Muffins

2 cups of all-purpose flour           1/3 cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon baking powder     2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda           2 tablespoons corn oil
1/2 teaspoon salt                           1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed     Zest from one orange (rind or peel)  
6 ounces orange yogurt           1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

In large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in brown sugar.
In separate bowl mix together orange yogurt, orange juice, melted butter, corn oil, egg, and orange zest.

Pour yogurt mixture into flour mixture and mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in blueberries.
Fill greased muffin tins full
Bake 20 mins. at 375 degrees or until golden brown......Makes one dozen
I'm thinking maybe adding a thin orange icing would be nice on top of the muffins -
a little sugar jult first thing in the morning is usually how I begin the day   

Before I started the baking session today I took took a walk....a nice way to spend an hour with family on a Sunday afternoon. 

On the knitting front - not much is happening. I did start a pink baby sweater but ripped it out, not sure I'm crazy about the pattern and I think I'll go to an old "stand by" that I've used several times since I'm trying to get as much completed as possible....so many projects, too few hours.

I just tasted the muffins....I'd say they're on the "not too sweet side due to the small amount of sugar in the recipe AND Man In Black has cast his vote - let's just say he won't be lining up at the oven door to enjoy the next batch...

That's fine with me - that's what's fun about trying new foods AND lucky for Man In Black I'm not sensitive about my baking reviews......I do have to say he was very polite telling me he didn't like them!!
I had to find something to do with the explosion of oranges we've got going on the backyard fruit trees -
I'm seeing something "Lemon Muffin" on the horizon...........
Now what to do with those remaining muffins and who will be the lucky recipients????
Well, this new idea is starting a little rough out of the starting gate but I'll not be detoured, now let's go frost those lil' berry cups of goodness......I just asked Man In Black if he thought the muffins would taste better with a little frosting???? - his answer - Not To Me!!!!....I won't tell you what I said back to him....have a great week ahead!

1 comment:

opportunityknits said...

It's a pity the muffins didn't go down so well but they look great :)
Black Swan was a little scary and disturbing, but I do scare easily and it's rated M18 here. The ballet parts were good though and my daughter wanted to see it because she takes ballet. The thing that really bugs me is that it left me with so many unanswered questions :) but then again maybe that's intentional.