Thursday, July 21, 2011

Close That Club!!!

I've learned something today....first, Man In Black is a really nice guy. (I already knew this but he proved the point again today)

Why? Because he spent four hours of his afternoon while I was at work babysitting over two simmering 
pots filled with peanuts.

I walked in the door and the smell was good....all the ingredients had been added....they were simmering until tender....

We let them cool for an hour like the directions said.....and then we tasted them.....gross....really gross
nothing but two pots filled with soggy dark brown gross boiled peanuts....

So, the second thing I learned today???

That EVERYBODY and their brother has more common sense than I do to bother cooking a pot of peanuts.

No wonder nobody left a comment on how to store them after they are cooked....they were all wondering who would ever bother making them in the first place?

So....to the trash they'll go....I did ask Man In Black if he thought they'd look and taste better after they dried....all he said as he walked by and glanced into the pot..."they don't look good"......that said it all.

So, I'm closing my club of one....it wasn't the first time I've come up with a loser idea and I'm sure this won't be the last.

I'm packing my suitcase...(not because the peanuts are gross)...... I'm leaving for a road trip tomorrow.....
Man In Black drives...I knit and plan weekend getaways....it's a good time in our lives...

More trips together....San Francisco soon...a weekend in Yosemite....a night spent in Santa Barbara...
Enjoying lunch while people watching in Venice along the boardwalk, now there's a place for taking interesting pictures. You want to see weird people...go to Venice, California.
They know they're weird so I don't have to worry about putting it into writing....they like the reputation, they think of themselves as a tourist attraction.

In the future if you think I have a loser idea......feel free to leave a comment. It's obvious the general culinary public know boiled peanuts are only desirable if you're an elephant. Maybe not even then....

I'm baking a new recipe tomorrow - Peach Melba Shortbread Bars...made with peach and raspberry preserves....I don't think I can go wrong there, I'll post the recipe while they're baking....unless they burn to a crisp I think they'll be a sure bet for the road trip. 

A special message to Leah...happy birthday sweetie...hope it's a great day for you.

Happy Friday Friends....I'll see you soon..

4 comments:

wagwinggarden said...

I wonder if the blue jays would have been interested in that pot of peanuts before you dumped them..have a great weekend...wish we could get away like that....

Unknown said...

Ha you are so funny and i love that you are adventureous seems like a few "losers" are worth the ride eh? Have a great weekend!

Heather said...

Well, hello! I don't know how you found my blog, but I'm awfully glad that you did, so that I could come visit yours! I really enjoyed my visit...so much so, in fact, that I am your newest follower! :)

So sorry to hear about the boiled peanuts. Being a California girl all my life, I don't know if I've ever had them, but they do sound delicious! Oh, and by the way, the sandwich and salad in your previous post look quite delicious too! I may have to give that a try! :)

Various and Sunday said...

That's too bad about the peanuts! I actually love them. What was wrong with them? Grainy? Tasted weird? Well, darn it. Your weekend getaways sound awesome. I'm such a homebody. But you really just have to pack up and GO! Nobody is going to deliver the fun to your door - you have to go for it! Good for you guys!!! :o) Robin