Wednesday, June 3, 2015


if you came over to visit today....
I'd invite you into the kitchen...
where you'd see the window open...
and hear my hens just outside in the coop....clucking and singing when they laid a fresh egg...


and my faded "wish" banner that came true....
one day did arrive and chicks became part of my life...




and you'd need to watch your footing when you heard me say "please don't step on my old girl"...
she's tired and needs to rest a spell...



and glancing around you'd spy an assortment of hens in different size and colors...
long before my baby chicks arrive...it seems I started collecting chickens without realizing it...



and then you may notice I use old ball jars.....for everything


I would probably mention that I love love love my wooden utensils best of all...
and get a twitch of annoyance when I see hubby has left one to soak in the sink full of dish water...



and of course..."the hadley"...Mary Alice Hadley pottery....
my early years in life were filled with simple artwork found at the bottom of my cereal bowl...
my dinner plate had a horse, or cow, or sheep...
maybe this...this was the seed that was planted for my love of farm animals?
the mugs, serving bowls, and casseroles all used today in my kitchen...
gone are the days of "saving for a special occasion"...these are the days that are special...




 you'll find the walls covered with every size and shape...



and solid wooden cabinets with drawer pulls that will require to bit of a tug to get them open..
the very best of memories to be tucked away of Nana's kitchen...
the kitchen drawers...is there anything better than the assortment of fun hidden inside?


and there must be humor in a room so filled with love and trinkets of yesterdays...


you won't see a coffee pot...
or food processor...
I never use either...
a shiny red toaster....and my beautiful mixer....they provide all the appliances this home needs...


a stack of favorite cookbooks....
more for the words written about the gathering and sharing of food than the recipes....



you won't find a paper plate, cup or bowl...
nor plasticware in the pantry or cabinet shelf...
only enamelware, pottery, and glass....
life is far too short and the beautiful cookware out numbers my days..
it all begins with our eyes...


there's no shortage of shelving...


and the kitchen sink?...with the window open letting in the afternoon breeze?
will always be lit with twinkle lights at night if you want to find your way to the refrigerator ....


there are colors in every direction...


 some gathered by shades of blue..



expensive pots left on the stovetop....
a one time purchase...a life long bond....


crystal cake plates to hold the cupcakes, cookies and sweets I try to avoid eating...



a spattering of vintage....
with a sprinkling of dust for good measure...

 and great food...
you will always be offered fresh food from the garden...



so anytime you'd like to stop over?
we'll always open the door and invite you in...


No comments: