Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cheese please.....

No buyers remorse....
love, love, love the smell


"CHEESE BREAD.....CHEESE BREAD PLEASE...."


It's always requested on the holiday table....it just wouldn't be complete without it....

It's been requested by Team Sicily already and they're not here yet.....
I'll make an extra basket full just for them at their side of the table.

It's wonderful right out of the oven or if by chance there is any left over (rarely) it's great cold and packed in the lunchbox the next day.

I've taken it to parties, potlucks, and classrooms, (one classroom teacher asked the students "are there any questions about our semester course?"...a hand shot up in the air,,,"yes, she asked"...the response,,,

"all I want to know is who brought the cheese bread and will they share the recipe?"

Here's what you'll need:


For those of you who don't bake your own bread.....like me, you'll need to visit your local bakery or grocery store with a bakery......the reason?....the bread needs to be unsliced.
White bread...not wheat....just your standard white bread.
A regular or larger if they have it sized loaf of white bread, not French bread...I'll show you why tomorrow.

I bought this at the nearby market and requested they not slice the bread...this loaf is smaller than I would have preferred but the other bakery I've used in the past just can't seem to get it through their brains to stay away from the slicer machine. Even the girl behind the counter seemed a bit embarrassed after the third attempt of trying to pick up a loaf on my way home from work only to find it had been sliced.


You'll find the Old English jar cheese where they sell the crackers....usually on the top shelf next to the Velvetta cheese and "cheese in a can"...I suppose we could take that as an indicator this recipe won't be found on the menu from Jenny Craig or Weightwatchers.

P.S...be sure it's Old English...not the "Pimento" jar..they look the same but check the name on the label:-)


Next,....margarine....I know...I love butter too but this recipe works best using margarine.
Stick margarine...not the kind in a tub that tells you it "tastes like butter"....

So, these are the ingredients..now, if you happen to be a galloping gourmet cook and have garlic powder (not garlic salt) in your pantry...you'll add a dash.

So, while you're gathering the ingredients I'm going to pop my loaf of bread into the freezer for a bit of time...

it will help with the slicing later...
we'll get together again tonight and construct this family favorite side dish...
give it a go...if you agree...I think your family will be searching the Thanksgiving table for the bread basket.

See you soon friends.

5 comments:

Sherri B. said...

I am looking forward to 'the rest of the story'! I'm on the road today, heading to the city house but want to make this while I'm there. Thanks for giving the ingredients, all three of them (yay!), as I always go to the store after unloading the car and will get it then. Can't wait! xo

Heather said...

Did you say cheese bread! That just happens to be one of my favorite things in life! I'll be back to see how delicious it looks!

Prairie Rose said...

Yummy-ness!
Bread sounds delicious!
But that candle is stunning, and I love apple and spices in the fall:)
Thank you,dear friend, for your encouraging email.

Leigh said...

Gosh, it sounds wonderful. Funny how some recipes just have to have certain ingredients and no substitutions will do. I can't make a pizza with whole wheat, nor French bread. And I can't use brown rice in gumbo! Has to be white. But, I reckon that's what makes them a treat.

Dutch Girl said...

Three ingredients, but getting the uncut bread sounds confusing. And how to keep it from sticking. I know my son will love it though. Include step by step pictures please for the kitchen impaired.